Friday, October 12, 2018

Game Idea Research

                          Game Idea 

I have decided I would like to look more into an open world game where you progress by finding objectives. I have decided to look more into this sort of game as I really enjoy playing these games myself, so I feel like this would help me identify what I like and therefore help me create an enjoyable game.

First Game Mechanic
The first game mechanic I looked into was about NPCs, It was called How to Create Non Playable Characters (NPCs) in Unity 2018 I found a useful article about how to set up the animations and transitions for these. In the article they just downloaded the characters and the animations so I didn't learn much about that aspect but I learned about how to set the default state for them and how to join up the animations to progress between them.



(This is an image taken from the article I read and shows how you could set up your transitions)

Second Game Mechanic
The second mechanic I looked into was all about the Interaction System from a Unity tutorial. I think this article will be useful in the future as it talks all about how you can get different objects to interact with each other and the various ways you can do this. One method I found which I feel will be very useful for my main game idea is the inventory checks you can perform, this will be really useful as it means instead of the character completing the level as soon as they get the object they will also bring it back to the objective meaning more game play.

                             (screenshot taken from the article showing the inventory checks)

Third Game Mechanic
The third game mechanic I found which I think will definitely come in handy for developing my game was found in Jimmy Vegas How to make a game for free video number 6. This is how to make objects interact able, in the video he creates an extra UI to show instructions on how to pick up a gem but I would imagine that by using the same method you will be able to create similar instructions for talking to NPC's and such which will be a vital part of my game.

Overall I feel like I have a few basic building tools already to help me design a game that I would find interesting.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie! Thanks for your recent comment on my blog, I never even thought about how my fourth game idea was similar to Professor Layton on the DS which I used to play when I was younger! I think that's definitely where the inspiration subconsciously came from. I like how your game idea kind of follows the same objective based gameplay like my idea. From reading through your post I can see you have a good grasp on game mechanics and what you would like to apply to your own game which is superb to have this early on. I think you are building your game on a solid foundation of research and I look forward to seeing what comes of it in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea of an open world game! It's quite ambitious, but still pretty good idea, and can be always pulled back if something goes wrong. Also, we were both looking at the same NPC tutorial, but sadly, it focuses on more advanced aspects of npcs rather than the basics. But reading through, you seem to have a understanding of what you wanna do and how you gonna do it, which is cool. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jamie,
    I like that you have chosen to make this game I think it sounds really cool and difficult so I applaud you for that. The game mechanics that you chose to add to the game I think are perfect and will work really well for you and help to produce a interesting and challenging game. Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jamie!
    Good to see you're making a game that you'd enjoy playing yourself, the open world game genre is fantastic. Are you going to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 that open world game looks so fun? I think the videos and articles you linked will come in useful when it comes to making the game. Good luck with further development.

    ReplyDelete