Sunday, October 7, 2018

Feedback thoughts

A lot of the time when I am getting feed back I expect the worst, I expect them to be really negative and to just highlight all the bad things in my work so I'm prepared for if this happens, but, the majority of the time this isn't the case. I found especially in college it is very rare that you'll be given feedback (by lecturers I don't think most of us students have had enough practice yet) which highlights your mistakes as it usually highlights why they are mistakes or highlights good work you've done and how by following the guides you followed to achieve them results you can improve on all your work.

I feel like in secondary school a lot of the time you didn't really get feedback, you got a percentage (if they converted it for you) and a generic comment like "good work" or "needs work". No matter what result you get none of these comments are helpful as they are really impersonal, like the teacher just wrote one or the other depending on what grade you got rather than how you're work actually was.

The two articles I read were Neil Gaiman's advice on  the creative life and Why it's so hard to hear negative feedback
I liked the second article I read "Why its hard to hear negative feedback" as I felt it gave some good tips on what to do when both getting and giving feedback.

Overall I think although it can be hard to hear sometimes feedback is a great tool for learning.

                                              (Image taken from Pixabay, classic sign for feedback)

No comments:

Post a Comment