Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thoughts about Growth Mindset


I've never heard of Carol Dweck before this exercise but i have heard of the growth mindset in a way.When i was playing GAA my manager would always talk about this, if you can't do something practise it and you'll get better and think that's something i can improve on rather than that's something i'm bad at. I think it is a very useful way of looking at things as you are more likely to really grind out a task that's hard rather than attempting it and giving up really easily which is a great trait to have in life as it will help you at every aspect of your life. 

At the same time I also think sometime this mindset can be a little anti productive. In certain situations i think no matter how hard you try to keep positive and try work out the problem it can be disheartening when you are trying to find a solution for ages and ages and can't seem to find anything. This is definitely true for higher level 6th year maths in my case, I would spend so long looking through books, examples from the board and videos online to no avail and it just made me hate going into maths which i generally didn't mind for the rest of the time during school.

When I dropped to ordinary level I still would have the odd problem but i feel like the fact i could get the majority of the stuff right helped me with the problems i'd struggle with whereas when i was higher level i thought it was so much harder as no matter how many questions you got right before you could get a question that you wouldn't be able to solve no matter how hard you tried.

Overall i think it is a good mind set to get into but i think there is a limit to what you can achieve through perseverance and you need to work on over time. 

(Good image about Growth Mindset taken from Pintrest)

No comments:

Post a Comment